Whether it is a laptop or desktop USB port takes more pressure than anything else. As a result, it stops working after a certain time. Even if it is not completely broken, you may find it a hassle to get a snug connection. That creates a huge problem in your work. For example, you are working on something serious, and suddenly your mouse is not working, or the flash drive is not working. Indeed that is irritating for everyone.
Therefore you need to repair or replace the USB port to make it perfect again. Here I am going to talk about how to replace USB port on laptop with some tips on keeping it safe and using it for a long time.
Read more: How to clean laptop screen and keyboard?
Is It Possible To Fix Laptop USB Port?
If you compare it to the desktop USB ports, it is kind of tough. But laptop USB ports are possible to fix. However, fixing it may not give you the permanent solution that you are seeking.
All the possible fixing methods work for a certain time and conditions. If there are minor issues, it is okay to fix them. But the most efficient way is to replace it to ensure better compatibility along with snug-fitting.
Why Your Laptop USB Port Is Not Working?
There could be many reasons why your laptop’s USB port is not working. The most common reason is that the USB port has gone bad. Other reasons could be that the USB cable is not plugged in all the way, there is something blocking the USB port, or the USB driver is not installed properly.
Usually, every part has a lifetime. And if you use a USB over and over, that is the possible reason to go bad with the particular port. If you see it is not working, let’s check it out first.
Read more: Best Gaming Laptop Under 1300
How To Check Your Laptop USB Port
Laptop USB ports are usually durable. So, before reaching any conclusion, check your laptop USB port properly before proceeding to replace it. First of all, check the hardware part. If the port has dirt in it, try to clean it and try again.
The best way to check the USB port is by going to the device manager and seeing the hardware status.
- Click on the windows icon and go to the search bar.
- Type “Device Manager”
- It will take you to the device manager.
- Then go to the “Universal Bus controller” option and click it to check all the ports
- If you see any device is not working, click on that and install the driver again. Then, restart the laptop.
- It will solve all the software-related issues.
Yet, if you find any problem with the USB, it is time to replace it.
How To Replace USB Port On Laptop
Now you are bound to replace the USB port on your laptop. Let’s know the proper way to do that. Although it is not that much hard to do it, you have to remain careful and do everything precisely.
- Open the laptop back cover: USB ports are attached to the motherboard. So, you have to disassemble the entire laptop to get access to that. Make sure to get the perfect tools that you can get online. Then use a screwdriver to open the back cover as well as tear everything apart for proceeding further.
- Disconnect all the connectors: A laptop consists of various connectors for all the parts, such as storage, battery, display, and others. So carefully disconnect all the connectors to pull out the motherboard from the laptop body.
- Unscrew the USB: Most modern laptops use a screw-based connection for USB. So use a screwdriver to disassemble it. If your laptop is not too old, you will see the wires connected via a connector. That is easy to pull off. However, you will see soldering on the old laptops.
- Clean properly: Whether it is old or new, remove the old USB and clean the place with alcohol or any other cleaner and make it perfect.
- Attach new USB ports: You can buy USB ports online at an affordable price. Now put it in the proper place, then attach it to the motherboard using a screw. Make sure it fits perfectly. And you can get USB 3.0 for better speed.
- Connect the wires: After attaching the USB to its place, connect the wires. It would be easy if it uses a connector; otherwise, use a soldering iron to get it done.
- Assemble Again: After everything is done, reassemble everything and turn on the laptop.
- Install the driver: In most cases, the driver installs automatically. However, sometimes you need to do it manually. Go to the “device manager,” find the bus hub controller, see the new USB, and update the driver.
And that is all you have to do to replace the USB port on the laptop. But, soldering is not that easy unless you are an expert. Let’s see how you can solder the USB port properly.
How To Solder USB Port On Laptop
Pick the perfect soldering iron for laptop repairs. Getting a 60W soldering iron is the best choice for laptop work. But you can get higher than that. Yet you shouldn’t go for the extremely powerful one.
- Give power to the soldering iron and give it some time to get hot.
- Now use resin to clean the place, then hold it to the wires connecting point to detach it.
- After installing the new USB port, clean that place using resin, then cover the tip of the wire with soldering wires. Then place it on the connecting point and hold it for a few seconds to make sure there is a strong connection.
- Remove the soldering iron and let it dry. You can check the connection and use extra leads to make it a better connection.
- However, never use too many soldering wires. That can end up being the worst connection.
Soldering iron is not for a novice person, and you should use it carefully.
FAQs on How to Replace USB Port on Laptop
How much does it cost to replace a USB port on a laptop?
A USB port on a laptop can be replaced for about $10-12. The part can be ordered from a variety of online retailers or from the manufacturer of the laptop. The repair can be completed by a professional or by the user, depending on their level of experience.
How do I fix a broken USB port on my laptop?
If your USB port is broken, there is not a lot you can do to fix it. You might be able to find a USB port repair kit online or at a computer store, but it is likely that you will need to take your laptop in for repair.
Is it hard to replace a USB port?
Replacing a USB port is not hard. It can be done with a few simple steps. The first step is to remove the screws that hold the cover in place. This can be done with a Phillips head screwdriver. Once the screws are removed, the cover can be removed.
The next step is to disconnect the cables that are connected to the USB port. This can be done by pulling on the connector. The USB port can then be removed by pulling it out of the connector. The new USB port can be installed by reversing these steps.
How do you fix a dead USB port?
If you have already diagnosed that the USB port is dead, it is time to replace it. Take your laptop apart, then pull out the dead USB port using a screwdriver, and then attach a new USB port in that place. Finally, attach the wires by soldering.
How do I know if my USB port is broken?
There are a few ways to tell if your USB port is broken. One way is to check if your device is charging. If your device is not charging, your USB port may be broken. Another way to tell is to test if your USB port is working. To do this, plug in a USB device and see if it is recognized. If it is not recognized, your USB port may be broken.
How difficult is it to replace USB ports on a laptop’s motherboard?
Replacing a USB port on a laptop’s motherboard is not difficult, but it is not a task that can be performed by most people. The motherboard must be removed from the laptop, and the port must be desoldered and removed. The new port must then be soldered in place, and the motherboard must be reassembled.
Can I add more USB ports to the laptop?
The laptop has minimal space in it, so adding more USB ports is not possible at all. However, you can replace your USB 2.0 port with a USB 3.0 port to enjoy better speed. Also, you can use a USB hub to extend the USB ports to connect more devices.
So that was how to replace USB port on laptop. If you are confident about the replacement, do it yourself; you can follow the above tips. However, not everyone can do it perfectly. Therefore it requires professionals’ help to make it work without damaging the laptop. Yet it is not that difficult either.
If you want to save some money, you should do it yourself. Otherwise, take help from an expert to make sure everything is okay. As you know, spending a bit of money from your pocket is better than ruining the laptop.
Hi there! My name is Mohiuddin Alamgir and I’m the man behind of “Laptopvine”. I love learning about all sorts of technology, especially laptops. I find it fascinating how laptops have evolved over the years and how they’ve become essential tools for both work and play. I strive to provide information that is both accurate and helpful to those looking for a new laptop.